Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's All About Me!

I know that I haven't mentioned this here before but.... I am turning 30 next year. Gulp. I am not happy about this. If you ask me to talk about it in public, I won't. So I will put this here. I am absolutely sick to my stomach w/ fear about getting old. I am sure a mental health counselor would have a field day w/ me on this topic. It isn't just 30. It is every age over 21 in general. With each birthday I am more paranoid. Oh, 26 was devastating. That is when I started lying to strangers about my age. Well, over the last few months different people and different avenues have brought a certain chapter of the Bible to my attention. You all know it.... Proverbs 31. The Chapter that talks about the qualities of a good wife. One stuck out in my mind--it says a good wife is not afraid of growing older. Hmmm. That is something to think about.... I've been thinking. Maybe I am afraid of growing older b/c for all of my 29 years each passing year has brought further deterioration of myself. (I mean I am almost 30 people... I am falling apart here.) So I decided to take control of that. I will take better care of myself as I get older. Then things won't seem so bleak. I need to pull myself together before I turn 30. So here is my plan:
1. Take care of major medical problem that has plagued me for the past 17 years.

2. Bring my prayer life to where it needs to be.

3. Pay more attention to my marriage.

4. Discipline my 2 children in all areas of their lives.

5. Lose 65 pounds.

My plan was implemented shortly before my 29th birthday and I am happy to say it is all going well so far.
1. Medical problem is taken care of.

2. I've said a rosary every day since I turned 29. This has been great for me and helped me to pray more in general. Lisa often prayers a decade or two w/ me. I love it.

3. Marriage is doing so much better w/ a little attention. I know it sounds trite... but a little communication goes a long way.

4. Lisa is happier and more well-behaved and Baby Jack's life is very structured.

5. I've lost 28 pounds. (10 of it was before my birthday)

So this is my plan. I figure- If I'm going to turn 30 I might as well look and feel good, right? If I'm gonna be 3o, I'm gonna be smokin'! I am calling this "My Year". This year is mine. I am taking care of Sarah. It is fun. I certainly have not focused on myself like this since I got married 5 years ago. My friends know I say this in jest but my motto lately has been- this year- It's all about me. Peace out!

2 comments:

Ria said...

sar~

your latest post is better than watching Oprah. (this is high praise) love you!

Tara said...

It really says that in the Bible? Wow. Also, have I mentioned that you are amazing AND my inspiration in making life a little bit more about me too. I needed that reminder.