Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fartlek

No, that is not a nickname for my brother. Fartlek is Swedish for "speed play". It is a type of conditioning which is defined here. I ran a fartlek today and it was exhausting. I understand how it means "speed". It is the "play" part I don't get. I don't feel like I was playing much. "Play" is something that makes me think of sandboxes and hula-hoops. This was not "play". I can understand how this benefits the aerobic energy system. Today during my workout my heart rate monitor alarm went off 3 times! It rings when I've exceeded what should be my maximum heart rate. Hmmmm. Not sure what that is all about. I mean, I don't stop when that happens and I am still okay, so...... Anyway, this was a great workout. I will be doing them every other week for the next few weeks. I am excited to see if they do make a difference in my speed and general aerobic strength. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: