Sunday, March 15, 2009

What a difference a year makes!

It was a year ago today that I returned to racing 5Ks.  I can't believe how fast time has gone.  I remember this race so vividly.  I went alone.  Jack was out of town.  My parents couldn't come. My in-laws watched the kiddos for me.  I didn't know a soul there and no one knew me.  It was a different race experience.  My goal was to finish in 27 minutes.  I ran it in 28:40.  I remember being overwhelmed w/ emotion when I crossed the finish line.  You can read about it here.  

What I didn't write about in my blog that day is that I cried as I crossed the finish line and walked to my car.  I was so overwhelmed by just being there and not being overweight.  (I had not reached my goal weight at this point... but I was w/in 10 pounds.)  I kept looking around at all the fit people there and thinking- "This is where I want to be.  With these people.  Can I stay here with them?  Do I fit in?"  After the race that day there was no glory.  No one knew my name cheering me in.  I didn't set a PR.  There weren't hugs and pictures.  There certainly was no trophy or medal.  It was just me and my ipod and my new self.  

As I walked to my car crying there WAS a smile on my face.  I had a feeling I might belong here and it was just to wonderful to think about.  When I got behind the wheel I said a prayer before I left for home.  I remember saying- "Thank you Lord.  Thank you so much for getting me to today.  Please help me to take better care of myself in the future, so I never get to where I can't do this again."  A year later... I still say similar prayers all the time.  That was such a great day for me.  What a difference a year makes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great feeling! It might take me a little while but I am going to feel like that too! Love ya

Modern Catholic Mom said...

That is so beautiful. Now I am tearing up! You are so deserving of all you have accomplished. I am so proud of you!

Ria said...

I love it!

BTW, what month should I be visiting the news stands???? Thought about it all morning.

Chrissy said...

Sarah, this is such a moving post! I too, am so proud of you. You are really an inspiration to me, and many I am sure!