Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Shoe Fits

I had a great time the past few days hanging out w/ my folks. We went running shoe shopping on Saturday at this great shop in Cincinnati. Bob Roncker's Running Spot is one of the top 50 running stores in the United States. It is such a cool shop and I really liked it. I was fitted for my new shoes by a nice guy named Matt. Matt seemed very surprised that I was running the shoes I have been. I have been running in a stability shoe. When I last shopped for running shoes I was adamant that I wanted support b/c I was worried about my weight hurting my knees and ankles. Well, that is what I was sold. So it may have been my fault. But Matt says I should NOT be in a stability shoe b/c I supinate slightly. (My foot roles outward when I run.) A stability shoe supports your arches so much that it pushes your foot up and out b/c it is made for people whose feet roll in. So these stability shoes that I've been running in, have been making a very small problem worse. And I didn't even know it! I tried on 5 different styles of neutral running shoes. I really tried to make the 2 pair of pink styles the best fit... but they just weren't. That is okay. I ended up w/ the Mizuno Wave Rider 10's and they are purple! They have a lot less cushioning then other shoes and remind me of my racing flats from when I ran track in high school. They are light and airy. I think I will really like them. Now I just have to be released by my doctor to run again.

In other news- A new session starts at the YMCA tomorrow and I start my new workout class. I will be doing a weight lifting and toning class called "All Strength". It is from 8 to 9 am. I am excited about it. I've been talking to a lot of people about my classes (my best friend, my doctor, ladies at the YMCA). The advice I have received has been to take a weight lifting class... especially since I got injured running. Everyone says the stronger I am the less likely it is I will get hurt. I tend to think that is true. However, I will be missing all the cardio I took last session. I am considering taking a Tuesday/Thursday cardio class of some kind. I plan to decide that by the end of this week.

No comments: