Friday, August 8, 2008

Let the Games Begin!

Tonight kicked off the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to watch the Olympics and always have.  I know that it is a little controversial that they are taking place in China b/c of their stances on religious freedom and human rights.  I am taking the same approach as President George W. Bush.  He was urged to boycott the opening ceremonies but didn't.  He says that to boycott the event would be "an affront to the Chinese people".  He chose to attend the opening ceremonies to support the United States team and to keep the communication lines open w/ China.  The old- "You catch more flies w/ honey rather than vinegar"  attitude.  (See article here.)

The opening ceremonies were amazing!  I let Lisa stay up to watch a little bit of them.  She loved it too.  We clapped and cheered.  The shows and performances were detailed, symbolic, and very moving.  There were 15,000 performers!   I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks of games and competition.  I have explained to Lisa that every country in the world has team and the USA is our team.  I went to www.nbcolympics.com and registered to receive text messages a half hour before my favorite events.  I won't be missing a thing!  Peace!

No comments: